Monday, February 13, 2012

roasted corn and edamame salad

aka summertime recipe in the midst of winter

It's really gloomy out today. San Francisco, this doesn't happen too often, but you are failing me today. It's foggy, it's grey, it's kinda drizzling, and I am starting to sound really whiny.

So to take my mind off something called winter (ugh), I present to you: a roasted corn and edamame salad! This recipe was taken from Self Magazine (2007) and it is the BEST corn salad I have EVER eaten!* Unfortunately, there are no pictures to prove it to you. Sorry about that.

This dish is great for BBQ's, potlucks, beach days, etc. You know, all those fun summer activities that we can't do right now because it's w i n t e r.

Also, I bet it tastes even better with avocado.

Roasted Corn and Edamame Salad
(makes 8 servings - I doubled the recipe for parties!)

Ingredients:
4 ears fresh corn, unhusked, or 1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernals
1 cup shelled edamame
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped or grated ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Soak fresh corn in cold water about 30 minutes. Heat grill on high. Grill corn in husk, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once. Let cool. Remove husks. Cut corn from cob into a bowl.

Or alternatively (which is what I did because not only do we not have a grill (the joys of city life), but I am also extremely lazy):
Defrost the bag of frozen corn.

Combine with remaining ingredients.

Cover and chill in refirigerator until ready to serve.

*Note: I didn't even use roasted corn. I just used bagged frozen corn and it was still the best corn salad I've ever eaten. Now you know it has to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment