Tuesday, August 21, 2012

falmouth road race recap

I ended the Falmouth Road Race with a time of 1 hour 29 minutes and 12 seconds. It wasn't always pretty, but I finished.

It started off at 6am with the breakfast of champions...a sausage egg mcmuffin from McDonalds.

Let's be really honest here, McDonalds breakfast is the BEST way to start a road race. (Maybe not everyone would agree with me on his one. Ashley was shocked when I spotted the McDonalds, pointed in excitement, and swerved into the parking lot).

The race started in Woods Hole, MA.

It was pouring like crazy in the morning. Luckily, the rain let up just as the race was about to start. I thought the rainy, windy weather would be a good thing in that it wouldn't be too hot. I was dead wrong. Here is Ashley and me at the start line.

As you all know, I pretty much failed to run all summer. It was clearly not a priority. I paid for it during the race. The first 3 miles were hilly and just 1.5 miles in, my legs were already so sore that I thought I was not going to make it. Also, even though there had been a crazy rainstorm an hour earlier, by the time the race started, there was crazy humidity...over 90%! At one point, I touched my face and it was burning up (even though at that point we were in the shady section) and I knew I had to slow down. Luckily, there was a water stop every half mile (so good!). If it wasn't an official water stop  by the race, it was some local residents putting out water cups for everyone. At every stop, I would grab a cup of water and throw it on myself. Residents would also spray us down with hoses and sprinklers as we ran. I'm convinced I didn't even smell at the end of the race because I basically took a 7 mile long shower!

I ended up walking a lot more than I planned to. The hills really kicked my ass. I also spent about 5 minutes waiting in a porta potty line during the race, which makes my average pace about a 12 minute mile. Not my finest performance for sure.

7 miles later we arrived in Falmouth. We did it. We survived the Falmouth Road Race.

Race Highlights:
End of Mile 1 - we were greeted with a run around the Nobska Lighthouse! At this point, I was still feeling pretty good. Team morale was still up.

(please note: this photo was not taken during the race. it was stolen from the internet)

Mile 4 - the end of the hills! We were rewarded with a nice flat run right next to the ocean. By then I was overheated and my legs felt like they were going to fall off. All I wanted to do was run into the ocean and lay there. (good thing I didn't because I probably would have gotten eaten by a shark).

Fantastic crowds - thank you residents of Falmouth for manning extra water stations, spraying hoses and sprinklers, and cheering us on for all 7 miles! Best spectators EVER!

Falmouth Road Race, I'll be back next year and I'll be ready to dominate you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment