Saturday, June 2, 2012

summertime and the livin's easy + run to remember

Memorial Day weekend marks the beginning of summer. Wooo! It started on Saturday (5/26) with some beach going.


And then there was some boat riding.


Courtesy of Sir Captain Alex.


We went from Hingham (where the boat is docked) all the way to Boston and back to Hingham.


On Sunday (5/27), I ran Boston's Run to Remember. There is a 5 miler and a half marathon on the same day. Obviously, I ran the 5 miler. This was my second 5 miler (I ran the Harpoon 5 miler the week before) and I'm proud to say I ran the whole thing! I finished in 51:16 (10:16 pace).


My friend, Irene, ran the half. She's pretty awesome. We got medals! (my favorite kind of race...where you get bling at the end)


So far, this is my most favoritist race. We got to run through some amazing parts of Boston, including: past the old courthouse I used to work at, Beacon Hill, around the Public Garden, through Downtown Crossing, the Financial District, and finishing up in the Seaport. My favorite part of the race was running past St. Francis House with all the homeless guys cheering us on.

Notice the big black thing on my wrist? I recently got a Timex Marathon GPS watch. I love it because it keeps me running at a more consistent pace and I am therefore, able to run farther! It does look huge, manly, and black, but apparently they don't really get any smaller than that.


Here are my race splits:
Mile 1: 10:25
Mile 2: 9:41
Mile 3: 10:35
Mile 4: 10:11
Mile 5: 8:52
(it doesn't exactly add up to 51:16 because I had some trouble with the watch at the beginning of the race. aka I tried to start it before I crossed the start line)

After the race, I went to my friend Drew's house for my first BBQ of the summer! Orlando made ribs stuffed with bacon and Drew marinated some chicken.


Thank goodness summer is finally here. Here's to more BBQing, tomato and pepper planting, herb growing, porch sitting, and canned beer drinking!

1 comment:

  1. Jenfer, you are so fast at running! I think you should put herb growing on hold and do some bachelorette planning! Congrats on finishing your second 5 mile race!

    ReplyDelete