Saturday, March 24, 2012

pork and sweet potato curry

I had some help with this one. I used Golden Curry's Sauce Mix...which are blocks of curry spices that you dissolve in water. What can I say, I'm in grad school, sometimes (actually most of the time) I take shortcuts. I bought this pack of curry mix at Hong Kong Market (formerly Super 88) in Allston, MA. Rumor has it, Vermont Curry is quite good as well.

Pork and Sweet Potato Curry
(makes TONS of servings)

Ingredients:
1+ pound of pork, cut into cubes (I used boneless pork chops because they were on sale, but I am sure you can use whatever type of pork you want)
5 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 normal potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 onions (my onions were kind of small so you probably only need 1 big onion), diced
6 cups of water
Oil
1 box of Golden Curry Sauce Mix

Directions:
Chop everything (onions, pork, carrots, sweet potatoes, and potatoes).

Get a big pot out.

(Note: I own this huge pot because I used to enjoy cooking 20 pounds of potatoes for Thanksgiving)

Saute onions, carrots, and pork in oil for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned.

Add water, sweet potatoes, and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, approximately 15 minutes.

Kinda looks like the soup I used to make.

Turn off the heat. Break the sauce mix into cubes (it'll be obvious once you open the package) and add to the pot. Stir until completely melted.


Serve! (I normally eat it over rice. Sometimes with a soft boiled egg!)




3 comments:

  1. I love the curry paste tubs in the Thai aisle of Super 88. It goes great in soup too! -- Chris Girard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this taste comparison about the different Japanese curry blocks: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/taste-test-japanese-curry-roux-mixes-golden-torukero-vermont-java-kokumaro.html

    ReplyDelete