Sunday, January 8, 2012

saratoga town loop

I take back everything I said about running outside. It's AWESOME! Challenging, but awesome.

So I was getting a bit tired of the gym (and it's been really crowded lately) and since it was a sunny 66 degree day in the south bay, I thought it might be a nice change to go for a run outside. I decided to start at my house and run the saratoga town loop, which (for those of you familiar with the area) loops around the high school, Saratoga Avenue, through downtown Saratoga, and back down Saratoga-Sunnyvale (and for those of you unfamiliar with the area that probably made no sense). I mapped my run and it ended up being about 3.5 miles.

Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures b/c I didn't take my phone and instead used my first generation iPod shuffle (you know, the white, candy stick one that also has a lanyard so you can wear it around your neck like a necklace. it's old school, but it does the job).


One of the things I struggled with was running up and down hill because I'm so used to running on the treadmill with no change in elevation. I'm sure with practice it will get easier. I also had difficulty controlling my pace in that I had no clue how fast I was running. I have no idea how to deal with this problem. Finally, I was afraid a car would run me over on Saratoga Avenue.

Despite these challenges, running outside was FUN! I loved the change in scenery and running past the little shops and restaurants in downtown Saratoga. And it's nice to breathe fresh air for a change. Weather permitting, I'm going to try to do an outdoor run every saturday and sunday. Wooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment