Wednesday, January 11, 2012

easy pumpkin muffins

Confession: like many people, I love muffin tops! (or muffies as they call them at Panera Bread). I plan on getting a muffin top tray very, very soon. Until then, regular muffins will have to do. These pumpkin muffins are super easy to make (and not as super sweet as the Trader Joes packaged pumpkin mix). Definitely worth it to make them from scratch! Trust me on this one.

(I can't remember where I got this recipe from...sorry)

Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 12 muffins...and probably even more muffin tops!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (Another confession: I always use twice as much pumpkin pie spice as I am supposed to. So when I made these, I probably used at least 2 teaspoons. You can also do so at your own risk)
1 1/4 cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (Again, I definitely probably used at least 2 teaspoons of cinnamon because I love it!)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put liners in muffin cups.

Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt until smooth. Then whisk in flour until just combined (be careful not to whisk too much).

In another bowl, stir together cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.

Divide batter into muffin cups, then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture (Confession #3: I may have sprinkled even more pumpkin pie spice here).

Bake until puffed and golden brown. A wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean - about 25 to 30 minutes.

Let cool and then eat.

Final confession: I stock up on canned pumpkin when its on sale in the fall and winter so I can eat these year round (including over the summer when I first made them).

No comments:

Post a Comment