Friday, May 4, 2012

totally screwed + race goals? + sangria

I'm running the Attleboro 10k on Saturday (aka tomorrow) and I'm totally screwed. I'm not feeling confident about this at all, seeing as I can't run the whole 6.2 miles. This past week I tried to run/walk 7 miles on the treadmill and by the end of it, my body hated me and I passed out in bed at 7:00pm (when I should have been up late outlining).

I probably should have trained more, but life (aka school) got in the way.

There's a 5k on the same day. I went back and forth about whether to register for the 5k or 10k, but ultimately I decided that I need to start running further distances and there's no better time to start than tomorrow.

10k race goals: (I am not sure I even have any, other than trying not to die)
1. FINISH
2. Run at least the first 5k, and then alternate between running and walking
3. I am too scared to put a time down. 

My friend, Ashley, who lives in Attleboro, is having a BBQ at her house post-race and on the menu is sangria! I know everyone has their own recipe, but here's the recipe she's going to use:

Sangria
Ingredients:
1 bottle of red wine (cabernet sauvignon, merlot, rioja, zinfandel, shiraz)
1 lemon, cut in wedges
1 orange, cut in wedges
1 lime, cut in wedges
2 tablespoons sugar
splash of orange juice or lemonade
2 shots of gin or triple sec
1 cup of raspberries or strawberries
1 small can of diced pineapples, with juice
4 cups ginger ale

Directions:
Pour wine into a large pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon, orange, and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and pineapple. Then add sugar, orange juice, and gin.

Chill overnight. The next day, add ginger ale, berries, and ice just before serving.

In other news, May is a big race month for me. In addition to the 10k tomorrow, I'm also running:
Sunday, May 20th - Harpoon 5 miler
Sunday, May 27th - Run to Remember 5 miler

I also have finals the week of May 14th-18th. Needless to say, it's going to be a crazy, busy month!

No comments:

Post a Comment